Does my place needs to be checked if I’m on vacation?
Whether you’re taking off for a weekend getaway or a week’s vacation before you leave, you always want to make sure:
- Doors and windows are shut and locked
- Gates to the backyard are closed
- All faucets and water sources are shut off
- Big electronic items are unplugged
If you’re gone for more than four (consecutive) days during a season when you would normally heat your home, insurance companies may not cover any loss or damage if any part of a plumbing, heating, or air conditioning system freezes.
Take the following precautions:
- Have someone you trust to visit your place to maintain the heating for each day you’re gone
- Shut off the water supply and drain all the pipes, as well as any domestic water containers
- Have your heating system connected by a monitored alarm to a 24-hour service station
Whenever you’re planning a trip, it’s best to double-check the terms of your policy to make sure you’ve got enough coverage.