What should I do if I’m in a car accident?
The first thing you should do is pull off the road as soon as possible, if you can do so safely. Once you’re safely off the road:
- Notify the police if anyone has been injured or damage to both vehicles is more than $2,000. That’s the combined damage, so it doesn’t take a lot to get to that level
- Take photos of the damage to your vehicle and any other damage caused by the accident
- Take the contact information of the other driver(s) including drivers license and insurance information
- Take contact information of any witnesses
- Don’t admit fault. Let the authorities determine fault
If your car isn’t drivable, call our aha insurance claims line at 1 (855) 242‑2440 so we can help you start the claims process as soon as possible. Recommendations will be given to have it towed to the nearest collision reporting centre or your dealership/mechanic.