You’ve probably heard people say that their home is their castle, but if you live in Ontario, it’s unlikely that you call a real life palace, equipped with guards and security staff, home. Fortunately, modern home security systems make it easier to fortify (and insure) your home. Having a home security system is a major step towards ensuring your family’s safety from unknown events. Discounts on your home insurance rate can also help to offset your home security system’s monthly cost.
There are a number of benefits you’ll gain from a home security system, so let’s take a look at some.
Less risk equals more savings
You’re more likely to get a home insurance discount when you have a security system in place because it shows insurance providers that you’ve put more effort into protecting your home. According to a 2016 Environics Research survey, 69% of Canadians see installing a home security system as a benefit but 40% didn’t know that security systems could help reduce their home insurance rates.
In addition to deterring criminal activity, some systems will also allow you to control your garage door, the thermostat, and record goings-on. Not only does being in control of your home feel great, but it doesn’t go unnoticed by your insurance company.
Insurance companies value that versatility and are more open to offering you home insurance discounts and amended deals because you’re going the extra mile to protect and secure your home. Since your home is so well-protected, it reduces the chances of an incident occurring that could result in a claim. This is where your home security system’s monthly cost is really going to pay off.
These factors form a trusting relationship between you and your insurance provider, which is an added bonus.
Just how much will you save?
One size doesn’t fit all when it comes to your home security system’s monthly costs and how much it will save you on home insurance. Each home insurance provider uses different metrics to calculate your savings factoring in any claims and system quality.
However, you can expect a home insurance discount ranging from 5 to 20% off your insurance premiums, depending on the system, your property, location, and current rates. The higher discounts go to homeowners with state-of-the-art systems in place. So don’t expect to get the highest discount if your security system is homemade and potentially dangerous, like the one featured in the movie Home Alone.
There are home security systems that cover all the metrics that insurance companies look for while staying within budget.
Make inquiries about home insurance savings to your provider as soon as you can. Find out how much you can save once you have a security system that’s protecting your home from backyard to front yard. Even if your high-tech home security system’s monthly cost outweighs your premium discount, it’s still a worthy investment to have an advanced system in place to protect your home.
What is a home security system’s monthly cost, exactly?
Your home security system’s monthly cost will be based on several factors, including:
- Installation fees (typically only for the first month’s payment).
- Whether you’re monitoring the equipment and footage yourself or paying your provider to monitor your home.
- Extra surveillance equipment and options, such as intrusion sensors and remote access.
Security system’s monthly cost may also depend on which plan you choose from your home security provider. Most providers offer a variety of surveillance bundles to suit your security needs and budget.
Adding more features helps insurance rates, too.
Some security add-ons can reduce your monthly rate even further. Keep an eye out for these features:
- Smoke Alarms and Flood Detectors: smoke alarm and water leak detection equipment that are connected to your security system are two features that will help keep your family and belongings safe. As a bonus, it helps keep insurance costs low because you’re taking all of the preventive actions to keep your home as safe as possible.
- Centrally Monitored Security (CMS): a CMS provider will watch over your home 24/7. Your family will be safer because you’ll receive immediate notifications if an alarm is triggered and a security monitor will contact the authorities in serious situations. This will also help your family save money when insuring your home. Having a CMS system in your home lets your insurance carrier know that your house is always being cared for even when you’re away.
- Video Surveillance: you can see what’s happening on your property at all times when you collect video footage. If you ever need to make a claim for theft or vandalism, this could help expedite the process and might even help to catch the offenders. Having this capability isn’t just useful for preventing break-ins. If your surveillance feed is able to connect with your smartphone, you’ll know when family members get home safely and if furry family members are misbehaving when the humans are out.
Most importantly, having these systems in place will keep your family protected. You can rest assured knowing that arming your home with these safety features will help you save on insurance. Ask your insurance provider about how these and other security system features can help reduce your home insurance rates!
Your home security system’s monthly costs represent a small price to pay to keep your family in good hands. It’s comforting knowing that your loved ones, home, and property are safe and secure.
If you’re ready to take the next step in securing your home, or you’ve already done so, get an online quote with us to see what kind of discount you can get with your home security system.